Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Photo courtesy of http://www.weather.com/
I live on the eastern seaboard. So, I'm getting a tidbit nervous about what will be happening in the next few days in these here parts with the talk of Hurricane Irene. I live far enough inland that I should be relatively safe, but I'm a Midwestern girl who's never seen a tropical storm before. For the first time in my life I did a pre-storm grocery run. I never even do that before snow storms. I'm pretty good at driving in snow, so I only get excited when snowstorms are in the forecast. Rain, however, is another story. There is also a great possibility for power outtages, so I figured I should stock up on food that doesn't have to be cooked or refrigerated since all of our appliances run on electricity. We also wouldn't be able to use any water if our power went out because our well pump would shut down, so I figured I better stock up. I'm saying all this to justify my preparations. My family always underprepared for disasters like Snowpocalypse and Y2K to proove a point. So, I feel a tad nerdy preparing.

The funny thing was everyone in the grocery store today acted like they were trying to hide the fact that they were preparing for the worst as well. None of us could hide the abnormal amounts of water in our carts, though. There were also several empty shelves in the grocery store. The most concerning was the utter lack of plain old Diet Coke. Forget bread and eggs. We need Diet Coke!

Here's hoping everything works out okay! I must admit I will be a bit disappointed if this storm is a dud. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment