Thursday, August 4, 2011

Practical Theology for Women: For Moms, Former Moms, and Wannabe Moms


This post is perfection! (Really, it is.) I just ran across it after my other two posts about motherhood NOT being the greatest good. It was so encouraging to read I writer I admire affirm my thoughts on motherhood.

I think it is crucial for women in the church to be sensitive to those who can't or don't have children. I think it is crucial for those in the church who do have children not to make comments that downplay others' childless states. One day I was sitting in church and the man in front of me turned around and asked me how I was. I replied "fine, but busy." I then asked him how he was. He replied, "Really busy. My kids just keep me so busy. You won't understand that until you have kids." So all the extra ministries I take on because I don't have kids aren't making me busy? Working full-time, tutoring after school part-time, and taking grad classes don't constitute busyness? Of course I didn't say any of this at the time. I just fumed to my husband on the way home from church. So people with children, be careful what you say to those who are single or without children. We can be grown-ups with or without husbands or children.

No comments:

Post a Comment